Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc listens as Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks about Canada's response to new U.S. tariffs during a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Patrick Doyle
Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc listens as Prime Minister Mark Carney speaks about Canada's response to new U.S. tariffs during a news conference on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Saturday, Aug. 22, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Patrick Doyle
OTTAWA - Federal conservatives are calling on the government to release the full details of the trade offer from the United States that Canada rejected this week.
In a letter to Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc, Canada-U.S. relations critic Shuvaloy Majumdar said while his party supports the government's decision to reject the deal, Parliament is in the dark on what was on the table.
"If there was a draft text of any agreement that both governments have seen, please release it. The U.S. administration has seen it. Your government has seen it. ºÃÉ«tvs deserve to see it," Majumdar wrote.
"Even after addressing ºÃÉ«tvs and the media, the public and Members of Parliament still remain in the dark on your government's demands in negotiations with the Trump administration.
Majumdar said he's not asking for "negotiating secrets," but rather information that both the ºÃÉ«tv and U.S. governments already know.
"ºÃÉ«tvs expect elected officials to collaborate in this moment, which is why we've made this request," Julien Coulombe-Bonnafous told ºÃÉ«tvin French.
Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended trade talks with the United States on Friday after accusing the U.S. administration of introducing measures in the final hours of negotiations that restricted Canada's ability to do deals with other countries.
At a news conference Saturday, Carney told reporters the U.S. had also added terms near the end of negotiations that restricted Canada's protections of language and culture.Â
He also said the U.S. offered to lower tariffs on autos in exchange for other concessions, but said the offer didn't include medium and heavy trucks.
"With respect to Ford's new plant, for example, in Oakville, which is F-350s, 450s, 550s, they would have been excluded. GM, Silverado, same thing, would have been excluded from that," Carney told reporters.
"No rationale, just for exclusion. So effectively moving into a series of terms that would have made the production more uneconomic over time."
In an interview with the New York Times on Saturday, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said the Americans offered, in part, to cut the 10 per cent tariffs on softwood lumber, and lower steel and aluminum tariffs from 50 to 25 per cent.
Greer also told the paper the U.S. offered to suspend the additional 50 per cent tariffs that Trump had threatened a month ago, paused earlier this week, and then ultimately enforced Saturday once talks fell apart.
Spokespeople for both the prime minister and LeBlanc's offices declined to comment on Greer's claims, deferring instead to Carney's remarks to reporters from Saturday.
This report by ºÃÉ«tvwas first published Aug. 23, 2026.